Q.

How to heal crohn's ulcers?

My husband has Crohns.  He has no pain and is mostly symptom free.  He was diagnosed with Crohns from a biopsy after intestinal cancer.  He has had two surgeries to remove ulcers, and he has deep ulcers again.  The doctor wants to put him back on Endocort, but that was the drug he was on when he got the ulcers back after the second surgery.  He has been checked for inflammation, but the tests always come back well within normal limits.  What can we do to heal the ulcers?

Related Topics: Healing, Ulcer, Pain, Biopsy, Intestine

A.
You ask a good question, and I can tell you are sincerely interested in helping your husband live as well as possible with his Crohn's disease.

Unfortunately, there is no way to "heal" the Crohn's ulceration. If that were possible, then no one would experience the ulcers because we could cure them all.

Crohn's disease is a chronic (long-lasting) incurable disease of the digestive tract. In Crohn's, the lining of the digestive tract, from the mouth to the anus, can become inflamed with ulcers. These ulcers tend to come and go -- or at least to wax and wane in their severity.

Several medications (like Entocort) help manage the general inflammation of the digestive tract caused by Crohn's. Entocort (budesonide) is a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation. I want to point out that just because your husband was taking budesonide at the time his Crohn's flared up, it does not mean the medication was not working or that it caused the flare. Think of it this way: You could be eating ice cubes and still get a sudden fever. It doesn't mean the ice cubes weren't cooling you down or that they caused the fever. It just means your body's temperature overpowered the effect of the ice cubes temporarily.

I wish your husband well. Crohn's can be a difficult disease to manage, and he is lucky to have you to help him.

Wishing you well!