Q.

When can a mammogram be done after breast reduction?

Related Topics: Mammogram, Breast

A.
This is an excellent question - and one you should ask the surgeon who performed the breast reduction.

When I served as a reconstructive surgery nurse, the doctor I worked with recommended a new baseline mammogram 6 months after breast reduction surgery. Breast reduction surgery changes the "architecture" of your breasts and causes scar tissue deposits to develop, so it's important to establish a new baseline image for a radiologist to compare your results against in the future.

By the six-month post-surgical mark, all of the absorbable suture should have dissolved and not appear on the mammo image. Also, you should be sufficiently healed so the mammogram isn't overly painful.

The guideline I've mentioned here may not align with your surgeon's preferences, which is why you should speak to him or her. Also, my comments only pertain to uncomplicated breast reduction cases.

If you have developed a lump or other lesion that requires investigation with a mammogram, then you should not necessarily delay the imaging test just because you recently had a breast reduction procedure. You should instead discuss the situation with your doctor and move forward with the recommended testing.

Wishing you well!