Q.

my nine month old wont sleep can i give him water to deter him from wanting to night feed

my son is 9 months old and wakes 5-6 times a night to feed still his doctor insists this is normal but to me 5-6 feedings and 3-4 diaper changes per night for a nine month old 25pound baby seems way too much, i dont like the night formula feedings as he has 8 perfect little teeth i would like to not have rot out of his mouth. he is eating baby foods, fingerfoods, and some tablefoods but he does not sleep at night ive tried every sleeptraining method to no sucess. 

Related Topics: Feeding, Baby, Tooth, Mouth, Food

A.
No, I would not advise giving water at night. At nine months, water should only be given as sips during the day. The bulk of fluid at this age should be formula or breast milk. Instead of feeding right away, try soothing or rocking your baby first before going to feeding him.

I would work on getting the sleep straightened out. Regular naps and early bedtime works great. One of my favorite books is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. 

For more on the subject see Expert Q&A: Baby's Sleep