Q.

Does dairy products increase phlegm in the throat

I have had a cold for about 5 days.  Last night we had chicken nachos which has quite a bit of cheese on it.  After eating, I noticed a lot more phlegm in my throat which led to a increase in coughing.  Could the dairy product have caused this?

A.
People often believe that, but dairy products do not CAUSE excessive phlegm, but dairy products can stick to phlegm making it seem more copious. Unless you are allergic to milk or milk products, there should be no change in the amount of mucous your body produces during a cold.  With that said, if milk/cheese seems to make things worse for YOU, than the answer is simple....don't  eat 'em when you have a cold.