Q.

Lower back pain and in the back of my thighs and butt?

Im having pain in my lower back and its shooting through the back of my thighs and butt, sometimes its one leg, and the next day its the other leg that hurts. But right now its both legs. It even hurts when I sneeze or cough. It hurts when I get out of bed and sometimes when im walking or standing for a long of time. I've seen a medic and they suggested rest and ibuprofen for the pain but its been 2 months of rest and still nothing.Could it be something else other than swelling?

Related Topics: Back Pain, Pain, Thigh, Leg, Cough

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

It could be Sciatica although the pain may be more intense while lying down and sitting with that condition. Does the pain extend down to your ankles and feet? If so, this is suggestive of a Sciatic Nerve disorder. Back pain resulting from disc bulging, pinched nerves, muscle pulls, other medical conditions (such as growth masses) , bone fractures, and narrowing of the spinal column (stenosis) are other possibilities.     

I suggest that you make an appointment to be evaluated by a primary care doctor. This individual may review your medical history, interview you for the pain quality, exact location of your pain, pain level, flush-out possible traumatic events that may have occurred, prescribe medications including analgesics and anti-inflammatory non-steroidal drugs,conduct blood and urine lab work & get the ball rolling with a radiographic x-ray. This doctor may also refer you to other medical specialists.

In summary: Lower back pain  costs the American Economy large amounts of money in medical expenses, lost work hours, worker compensation claims, doctor office visits, and intense pain experienced by the patient. This type of symptomology requires resolution beginning first with a clear diagnosis. Once a diagnosis is established, treatment efforts may be started moving from conservation forms like cortisone injections, analgesics, bed rest, pillows placed under the knees, chiropractic treatments, and ice and heat treatments. Although these symptoms sometimes may virtually spontaneously improve (in conjunction with some conservative efforts), more aggressive testing like MRI's and surgical intervention is frequently necessary. It can take a lengthily time to achieve relief (months or even years). 

I wish that the process was less cumbersome and more patient friendly.Unfortunately, medical insurance companies through their "bean-counting "policies (directed at cost saving) make most of the bigger treatment/testing decisions today.The physician many time finds that their decisions are overturned by some HMO clerk following a complicated reimbursement and procedure manual. These sometimes uncaring and reckless institutional decisions can delay diagnosis and the starting of treatment efforts.

Hopefully a cause for your symptoms will  rapidly be determined, but please don't count on any quick fix. 

Best wishes for your health improvement.    

A.
I had pain for over a decade. Hard getting out of bed and going to bed. Cold weather and dampness increases it. My PCP recommended I move to Florida-warmer climate.  Sounds great, but really Ughhhh...Doctors didn't know what else to do with me.  Jokingly, I replied: just take me out to the pasture and shoot me. I felt helpless. I felt no one believed me. Very frustrating. Been thru so many tests, lots of x-rays, blood work, etc.. The most reliable test would be an MRI and nerve conduction tests. Not happy with the dx but I have Fibromyalgia-something that is not easily detected or believed by med providers. It is something I have to deal with for the rest of my life. All one can do is take it one day at a time. Always thank the Lord for another day. I wish you well. God bless you and yours.