Q.

whats the difference between norco and vicodin, when they're both named hydrocodone/acetaminophen?

i think it was an error on the part of either a nurse or the doctor but after being discharged my prescription list read hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5/500 (Vicodin) and the second one read hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5-325 (Norco), so i'm confused, am i supposed to take them or is it a mistake, because they both named the same. somebody let me know if they made a mistake, i don't feel like getting addicted or overdosing if its the same drug. they game it for my back pain,

A.

A better job should have been done in explaining the 2 discharge prescriptions.

• Norco (Generic) and Vicodin (Brand) are medication

names.

• Hydrocodone and acetaminophen are the active ingredients contained in both of these medications.
  • Norco is the generic form of Vicodin.
  • Both of these drugs contain hydrocodone and acetaminophen as their ingredients.

In your prescriptions the ingredients are:

-     # 1- (Vicodin) Hydrocodone 5 and Acetaminophen 500 mg.;

-     # 2- ( Norco) Hydrocodone 5 and Acetaminophen 325 mg.;

As you can see, both prescriptions are  the same except that # 2 contains less acetaminophen and is the generic version. My instincts tell me that you should only be taking one of the noted prescriptions. The pharmacist may be able to contact the prescriber and clarify their intention. I would not recommend taking both of these prescriptions together.  

A.
The only difference between these medications is the name.  Hydrocodone is hydrocodone.  They may contain different levels of APAP, but essentially hydrocodone is the main ingredient that changes the brain receptors.  People that say they feel different with the 2 medications are brainwashed into thinking that the 2 are different.