Q.

Red scaley patches that come and go.

Hello. I'm not one to ask online like this but there has been an ongoing occurrence for a few months now. Randomly, the inner creases of my elbows get red very rough, scaley and patchy. Alongside this, it somewhat itches. It leaves a pretty dark scar once it's passed. What do you think may be the cause of this? I have a picture of it in its beginning stages that I took today, so I'll attach it. It always gets worse. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Related Topics: Elbow, Itch, Scar

A.
Initially is sounds like you have Atopic Dermatitis or Psoriasis. Usually it happens in the folds and creases of joint areas and can be persistent. There can be several triggers including allergic reactions to detergents, environmental conditions, dry air, too much chlorine (if you are a swimmer ). You can get some ointment from your Dermatologist; opt for the ointment since it is better then a topical cream. Make sure you check all your detergents and soaps are hypo allergenic. Now it very well could be that it is inherited, Atopic Dermatitis and Psoriasis is linked to the same gene that causes allergies and asthma. 

Keeping your skin moist is a major treatment and I found that when you take a shower to immediately apply petroleum jelly, with out drying off. When done you should pat dry... do not rub dry. It takes a minute to do, but you will have moist skin all day.  If your symptoms are bad some doctors will give you a shot that will speed up recovery of your itchy spells and clearing of your skin.

Here are some links:
http://www.medicinenet.com/atopic_dermatitis/article.htm
http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/psoriasis-vs-eczema-pictures

Good luck in finding out exactly what it is and getting it cleared up!!