Q.

How can you get a type 2 diabetics blood sugar down?

Same person?
Just want to know how do we get his blood sugar down?
He wants to eat junk food,
Chips,
Soda,
Candy,
Cookies,
Junk.
He dose this his sugar spikes and so dose his mood.
I dont know what to do?
Surely someone out there must know.

Related Topics: Blood Sugar, Food

A.
Until his lifestyle changes and he recognizes that any intake of carbohydrates will cause his blood sugar to spike well there is nothing you can do.  Even with insulin treatment, oral medication and proper exercise he needs to stop with the bad eating habits.  I have Type II diabetes and although I try to take care of business by blood sugar spikes at times, not much and not high, but it spikes. I had a doctor explain it to me like this.  "If you know of someone that decides to eat what they want, not take his/hers medication and not exercise.. you are committing suicide.....period." 

At the end of the day does he care about his family? His life? His relationships? It could be that he might need to see a counselor to help with his mindset. Hard pill to swallow, but it starts in your head and heart.  I do not know if he realizes how blood sugar that is out of check, can cause some major health issues including death, blindness, organ failure, amputations etc.

You probably know some of this, but it does not hurt to hear it again.  

A.
Have you considered a bit of "tough love" & intervention may be the solution here? As in, go in & get rid of all the junk food! He may get angry, he may ban you from his home even his life but in his quiet, lonely moments he will know the truth in what you did & it will continue to speak to him until he listens.

A.
helpmewithmyhusband.....
you have two really good, truthful answers. both right on target. i've been type 2 for 25 years and am 70. i take meds and diet. i use insulin to manage spikes as needed.
all i can add is that my only brother ate like your hubby or worse....and took insulin and meds....he was about to lose his legs....now i've lost him to heart failure, he was 59.