Q.

Can a woman have sympathy pain for another woman who is menstruating?

Hi, I'm seventeen. I'm not sexually active. My mom and I are extremely close, so our periods usually sync up. This month I was just barely behind hers. I finished my period like a week ago and she started a couple of days ago, but since I've been off my period I'm still experiencing bloating, constipation, crampiness, and even leg cramps (my mom and I both experience those when menstruating). I was wondering if I am experiencing sympathy pains because of her period? Is that possible?

- Madison
Related Topics: Period, Constipation, Leg, Bloating, Pain

A.

It is possible.  It sounds as if you and your Mom are very close and you are very much in tune to her pain, and therefore, when she has her period, you are having symptoms, and pain similiar to hers.  It's the same as a husband that loves his wife so very much, and often when she is pregnant, he will have "sympathy" pain and experience some of what she is going through