Q.

Does the flu shot cause Narcolepsy

I have been just informed that I have narcolepsy, I have been reading online that the flu shot has caused narcolepsy in children.  Back in 1980s I was in the services and had to have a flu shot. Could this have caused me to develop narcolepsy?  I have never had a flu shot til I was in the service.  The doctor told me that I have had this for several years and that it has begun to get worse. I will be 50 in May.

Related Topics: Flu, Narcolepsy, Injection

A.

No....I do not believe that the flu vaccine causes narcolepsy. As a matter of fact, the cause of narcolepsy is really idiopathic (not known).