Q.

Green discharge from the drainage tubes I got after my double mastectomy. Is this bad? Should i go to the er

I had a double mastectomy about a week ago and have had drainage tubes in since. At first, everything was fine, no pain having to do with the tubes, just normal discomfort. A few days ago, one of them started to discharge a green-ish color liquid.  Today, the same tube is still outputting a green/brown color, but now it feels as if its clogged or something because it hurts. I dont know what to do, I dont want to have to go sit in the ER for hours upon hours today if its not anything serious.

Related Topics: Mastectomy, Drainage, Pain

A.
I'm sorry to hear about your mastectomies. Problems with the drainage tubes isn't uncommon after this procedure.

I hope by now you've called your surgeon's office for further instructions. Green or milky discharge in a drain tube can be a sign of infection, and you want to get it checked out right away. That said, usually the surgeon wants to see you in his or her office, rather than having you go to the emergency room. However, every surgeon is different. Your best bet is to call the surgeon's office immediately for instructions on what to do.

I wish you all the best with this!