Q.

Effect of diabetes on the brain?

My son has been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years, has not always taken good care of himself, has had numerous occasions that he went into diabetic comma over the years. Has there been any study on how this diabetic reations effect the brain?

Related Topics: Diabetes, Brain, Reaction

A.
There tons of studies about diabetes and how it effects the brain, but first, and I am probably preaching to the choir here, but lets see your son start taking care of himself.  I can understand that he might also be despondent and might even be depressed about his diabetes, but there are lots of ways to live happily with it.

Back to the question at hand, I read that diabetes, if in check and maintain, does not have any adverse affects to the brain, but if out of check and when glocuse levels are high for an extended period of time, some research shows that it could lead to memory lost, brain shrinkage, increase stroke probaility and we will be more prone to cognitive decline, Alzheimer's; but even high sugar levels in non-diabetes can cause these issues, but because we diabetics have a hard time controlling blood sugar it is more critical for us.