Q.

What causes gallbladder stones in children?

My 9 yr old son has gallbladder stones and is currently waiting to get his gallbladder removed.  Is it normal for someone his age with a healthy diet to have stones?

Related Topics: Diet

A.

Gallstones in children are becoming more common, although gallstones in a normal weight, healthy-eating nine year old boy is unusual.  The largest risk factor for gallstones in children would be obesity. Obese girls are twice as likely as obese boys to get gallstones. Another factor for girls would be the use of oral contraceptives where a higher incidence has been reported.  Some studies have reported a genetic predisposition.

In adults, the risk factors used to be the "Four Fs": Fat, Female, Forty, and Fetus (women who are pregnant or have been pregnant), but children only have two of those four F's.