Q.

How long can I safely go without having surgery when the symptoms of gallbladder pain begin?

Related Topics: Surgery, Pain

A.
I was diagnosed in 2/2012 after 16 addl ER visits due to gallbladder problems they finally removed my gallbladder.  According to the surgeon who preformed my surgery, I was made to suffer un-necessarily long.  He said it should have been removed within the first 3 visits.  I had quite a few gallstones. I am on SS Disability for back/neck issues and asthma and thyroid issues.  The ER doctors ordered tests which were not necessary and which Medicare did not pay for.  They did a CT scan, numerous chest xrays, and numerous sonograms in addition to blood work and urinalysis each time.  If I were you, I would have it removed as soon your insurance or finances will allow.  DON'T suffer needlessly as I did.  I now have a huge medical debt which I have no idea how I will be able to pay.  For instance, one ER visit I was billed $11,000 + and another was $13,000 +  .... my insurance only paid a couple of hundred dollars on each of these.  The lowest bill was close to $1000 which insurance only covered (again) a few hundred.  My surgery was almost $35,000 .... for that, I only owe $55.00 go figure!

A.

If you are having pain in the area of your Gallbladder then you should go to the ER right away to have it checked out cause if it bursts you could die before getting help.

A.
I had mine out years ago.  It's an easy procedure these days.....don't wait....the pain gets worse and the very micro stones that I had went down into my liver and I was not in good shape.  Don't put it off..find a surgeon!

A.
Hi, I don't think there is really a 'safe' amount of time.  Don't put it off, go see your doctor if you're suffering any symptoms that could mean surgery.  There are so many advances today that make these surgeries less complicated and recovery faster.  Good luck!