Q.

How long can I stay on my parent's health insurance plan?

A.
You can now stay on a parent’s plan until you turn 26 years old. Your parent or guardian can add you to their existing employer-sponsored group health plan (if the plan offers dependent coverage), or buy a family plan on the new Health Insurance Marketplace. Either way, as long as you’re under 26, you can be added to your parent’s plan – even if you’re married, not living in the same state, and/or not financially dependent on your parents.

There are a few exceptions:

1. Your parent’s plan must already offer coverage for dependent children.
2. You may not be able to join if your parent has a “retiree-only” plan.

In addition, starting in 2014, young adults who were in foster care will be able to stay on Medicaid until age 26, regardless of income. If you were in foster care when you turned 18 or aged out and were enrolled in Medicaid while in foster care, you may be eligible for full Medicaid coverage.