Q.

I just read that strontium helps bone density. Is this a new drug or a new treatment for osteoporosis?

A.

Strontium is a mineral that is present in some foods. It is also available in certain dietary or nutritional supplements. Some supplement companies promote the benefits of this mineral but there isn’t enough research at this time to show that taking strontium is safe and beneficial to bone health.

The mineral forms of strontium are not the same as strontium ranelate, which is a drug sold in Europe and other countries to treat osteoporosis. Chemically, strontium ranelate consists of a combination of strontium and ranelic acid. Strontium ranelate is not available in the U.S. since it has not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

In summary, strontium is not a new drug or a new treatment for osteoporosis. It is a mineral that is available in dietary supplements. Strontium ranelate is a drug that is not FDA-approved for use in the U.S. It is important to note that a dietary supplement does not substitute for a medicine that has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of osteoporosis. Additionally, dietary supplements are not FDA regulated or tested like drugs, nor are their health claims approved by the FDA.

Read the Original Article: I just read that strontium helps bone density. Is this a new drug or a new treatment for osteoporosis?