Q.

I just found out that I am pregnant. Is taking a vitamin enough or do I need to eat certain foods?

A.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! When you are pregnant, you have a higher need for some vitamins and minerals. Most doctors recommend that pregnant women take a prenatal vitamin and mineral supplement every day in addition to eating a healthy diet. Taking a supplement ensures that you and your baby get enough important nutrients like folic acid and iron. But don't overdo it. Taking extra can be harmful for you and your baby. And remember, vitamin and mineral supplements cannot replace a healthy diet.