Q.

What options are there if I’m a recovering addict scheduled for major surgery?

Related Topics: Surgery

Addiction Medicine
Betty Ford Center
A.
If your surgery is not an emergency procedure, I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon, being very honest and clear about your addiction.

Important tools include honest communication with the pain management team; alternatives including local anesthesia; Toradol for pain; the quick and effective use of opiates and their monitored withdrawal — the key word here is monitored. Monitored by family, monitored by primary care, monitored by nursing and by the pain management people is critical. Indeed your addiction could be reignited with a vengeance so all precautions must be taken.

This can be done. There are alternatives that may be used for your post-op pain; you just need knowledgeable support in dealing with that.