My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

What kind of medical specialist treats hepatitis C?

Related Topics: Hepatitis C

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

5,093 Answers
270,013 Helpful Votes

Hepatitis C is an infection of the liver caused by the hepatitis C virus. Technically, since hepatitis C is an infectious disease, one might think that an infectious disease specialist (a subspecialty of internal medicine) would be the appropriate medical specialist to see.

Hepatitis C is more than a simple infection, however. It usually is a chronic infection that often is associated with important damage to the liver. Because of this fact, patients with hepatitis C are most commonly referred for treatment to a specialist in gastroenterology (also a subspecialty of internal medicine).

Gastroenterologists specialize in diseases of all of the gastrointestinal organs including the liver. Moreover, there are gastroenterologists who specialize in diseases of the liver including hepatitis C. These specialists are called hepatologists. ("Hepar" means liver.)

Whether patients with hepatitis C are treated by gastroenterologists or hepatologists depends on the expertise (gastroenterology or hepatology) available in the community, the severity of any associated liver disease, and the complexity of the contemplated treatment.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer
Archived: March 20, 2014

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

432 of 464 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Hepatitis C Specialist

Answers from Contributors (1)