Q.

Can I be diagnosed with an ulcer without an endoscopy?

I have been having stomach pains for about a week, and it's just a dull, achy feeling. It does get a little worse after meals, but usually clears up within an hour. I was put on antibiotics (since it has worked in the past) and an acid reducer. I have no relief yet. 

I have been doing my research online, and I think I may have an ulcer by the symptoms. However, I refuse to get an endoscopy because of fear/anxiety. I am 23 years old. Is there another way I would be diagnosed WITHOUT an endoscopy?
Related Topics: Ulcer, Endoscopy, Stomach, Pain, Meal

A.

The 3 major tests and procedures used to diagnose stomach ulcers include:

barium enema: a thick white liquid (barium) that you drink helps the stomach and small intestine show up on X-rays

endoscopy: a thin, lighted tube is inserted through the mouth and into the stomach to look for the presence of an ulcer

endoscopic biopsy: a piece of stomach tissue is removed so it can be analyzed.

Years ago I had very similair symptoms and was told I had a stomach ulcer, without any of these tests being done on me, and put on Prilosec, which helped for a bit, but I would still get terrible heartburn and pain.   Then one day I was in so much pain I was rushed to the ER only to find out it was my gall bladder that was about to explode, so I was rushed into surgery to have it removed. Now I'm not saying that this is what I think your issue is, but I would definitely consult your physician about it, because it could be something more serious than an ulcer. Even if it is an ulcer, you definitely want it diagnosed because it's something that needs to be treated properly.