Q.

i am having a surgery and I have thrush, will this stop my operation?

Related Topics: Surgery, Thrush

A.
The answer likely depends on the type of surgery you're having.

You definitely should disclose this episode of thrush to the surgeon as soon as possible. He or she will make the decision whether or not to proceed with the surgery or to postpone it.

Thrush refers to a yeast infection of the mouth. It is caused by a fungus called candida. In general, thrush is not considered a serious condition. It can easily be treated with an anti-fungal mouth rinse.

However, candida can be dangerous if it gets into a surgical wound. It is unlikely that the yeast could travel from your mouth to an incision in, say, your foot. But on the other hand, if you're having an endoscopic procedure (where a surgeon puts a flexible scope down your esophagus), then it might be easier to transfer the yeast to a surgical wound in your stomach, for example.

So, as you can see, there's no one answer to your question. Your best bet is to notify your surgeon right away about the thrush and see what s/he says.

Wishing you well!