My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

Please visit the new WebMD Message Boards to find answers and get support.

Posted: | Report This Report Question |
Q.

Can you get food poisoning from jelly?

My two year old ate half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was not refrigerated and in a baggie on the counter since yesterday. Is he in danger of getting food poisoning. The jar says to refrigerate after opening. I don't eat jam or jelly and didn't think anything of it but my husband said he's gotten food poisoning from jelly before. Should we take him to the hospital now or wait for any symptoms to arise? Besides vomiting what would likely symptoms be?

 

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

Nutrition
405 Answers
12,361 Helpful Votes
79 Followers
A.

Leaving jelly overnight one time is unlikely to cause food poisoning, it only will decrease the shelf life of the product. The shelf life is longer for jelly bought at the store versus homemade. Store bought jelly is more standardized (with the right amount of sugar/fruit/liquid) and the sugar acts as a preservative. Check the jelly for signs of spoilage like mold, odor and changes in color. I suggest calling the company and asking them if the item should be discarded. And if you see symptoms in your child like vomiting, diarrhea or decreased appetite, call  your doctor.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

Posted:
| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?

YesNo

Thanks for your feedback.

3 of 6 found this helpful