Q.

Can you get food poisoning from jelly?

My two year old ate half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was not refrigerated and in a baggie on the counter since yesterday. Is he in danger of getting food poisoning. The jar says to refrigerate after opening. I don't eat jam or jelly and didn't think anything of it but my husband said he's gotten food poisoning from jelly before. Should we take him to the hospital now or wait for any symptoms to arise? Besides vomiting what would likely symptoms be?

A.

Leaving jelly overnight one time is unlikely to cause food poisoning, it only will decrease the shelf life of the product. The shelf life is longer for jelly bought at the store versus homemade. Store bought jelly is more standardized (with the right amount of sugar/fruit/liquid) and the sugar acts as a preservative. Check the jelly for signs of spoilage like mold, odor and changes in color. I suggest calling the company and asking them if the item should be discarded. And if you see symptoms in your child like vomiting, diarrhea or decreased appetite, call  your doctor.