Q.

Can you tell me what this result means??? BUN/Creatinine Ratio 24 Reference Range: 9-23

Related Topics: Creatinine

A.
I'm happy to help you understand this.

BUN/creatinine is a combination of laboratory tests that measure your kidney function.

BUN stands for "blood urea nitrogen." The test looks basically looks at your kidneys' ability to filter the naturally occurring waste product urea from your blood. If you have a high level of urea in your blood, then your kidneys may not be working well.

The creatinine lab test measures how much creatinine (another naturally occurring waste product) is in your blood. The kidneys should filter creatinine very efficiently, so a high creatinine level could mean your kidneys aren't functioning well.

The lab result you are asking about, BUN/creatinine ratio, basically tells whether or not your are dehydrated. When a person is severely dehydrated, his or her BUN level will rise more than the creatinine level.

In your case, your BUN/creatinine ratio is 24. That is barely above the high end of the reference range (normal range). This means you could be mildly dehydrated, but basically you seem to be fine.

Wishing you well!