Q.

is lidocaine patch approved by FDA for sugical nerve trauma

surgical trauma of nerve tissue treated by lidocaine patch approved by FDA?  I have been using them for at least 3 years and they work for me. However now medicare part D is saying they are not FDA approved for this condition.  i have other articles saying differently.  Please explain.

Related Topics: Nerve, Trauma, Medicare

Health Reform
A.
The medication has FDA approval, however, if the FDA didn't approve it for the exact reason you're using it, your plan may deny coverage. 

There could be other reasons they won't cover it. Maybe you need prior authorization, or there are limits to the amount you can buy or the particular brand your doctor prescribes isn't covered. Insurance policies impose a wide range of rules we must follow to have our care or prescription drugs covered. 

I would go further with your health plan and push to speak with someone who can give you a clear understanding of why you suddenly can't get the patches so you have a better idea of how to proceed.