Q.

I use two disposable bags a day. My insurance company says I only need one a day. What do you think?

Are there any statics that proof that ostamates only need one bag a day ?  I have used on average two per day for the last 15 years

Related Topics: Insurance

Best Answer 
Health Reform
A.
Most Helpful Answer

I'll answer this from an insurance perspective. Perhaps one of the other WebMD experts with a medical background can respond with regard to the medical need.

If you’ve been doing the same thing for years and your doctor still feels it’s needed, you can appeal your insurer’s decision to limit your use of disposable bags.

First, you can ask for your provider's help in gathering information or collect medical journal articles that support the treatment's use by searching journal articles with PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, at www.pubmed.gov. You can use this information as part of your appeal, which both state and federal law entitle you to. At least two levels of appeals are available to you — an internal appeal with your insurer and a review by an independent third party. Your insurer must provide you with written information about how to initiate the process.