Q.

why do generic drugs make me cough?

I take meds for a thyroid condition  and blood pressure meds. I have tried several different generics. the all have caused a constant cough. insurance c won't cover the brand names. I am paying more than $500.00 per month for my meds.

Health Reform
A.
You do have the right to file a formal appeal with your insurance company to gain coverage for brand-name prescription drugs. You'll have to demonstrate that medically, you're unable to tolerate the generics on your plan's formulary.

Talk with your doctor about your condition and the likelihood that you'd react better to a different medication. Then ask about getting his or her help filing an appeal with your insurer. The goal is for your doctor's office to provide supporting medical evidence as to why you cannot tolerate the medications you're currently taking or have access to via your plan, and why you need coverage for treatment better suited for you. 

Good luck!