Q.

A DDS told me that I needed my tooth reconstruction after I entered my delta dental insurance data on new patient form.

The second DDS told me that I did not need reconstruction after checking  my tooth and all of dental x-rays. Both DDS have 25+ years dental experience as a DDS and both were graduated from good dental school and have teeth implant licenses. The second DDS also told me that the dental school professors taught  their students should not harm the patient's healthy tooth. 

Related Topics: Tooth, Dental, Insurance, X-ray

Health Reform
A.
Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to get differing opinions from different clinicians.  There's no easy answer here about what to do.  

You didn't mention whether you went to the dentist specifically because you were having a problem with this tooth, or if the dentist initiated the conversation after doing an exam and entering your insurance information. If the tooth has never bothered you, that would give me pause. 

I might consult a third dentist if you're very concerned to see if you can get more information about what's going on.