Q.

loss of balance, weak legs

What could be the cause of a loss of balance and weak legs. When getting out of bed at night legs will not hold me up. When rising from a chair legs are weak and I lose my balance. When walking I drag my right heel and sometimes the left. My age is 82 but up until 6 months ago I had no problems, but it is steadily getting worse.

Related Topics: Weakness, Leg, Walking, Heel

A.
Problems with balance, leg weakness, and dragging of the heal are suggestive of a neurologic system condition. I recommend that you discuss your symptoms with a physician. They may refer you to a neurologist for a full work-up. Six months is too long for your symptoms to have gotten worse without being professionally evaluated. Congratulation on achieving 82 years of life.