Q.

how do you break a fever on a two year old and when should i take her to the hospital if i cant get it to break

she has had a fever for two days now so far the highest temp being 101.3°f now its around 100°f and i cant get it to break with meds ive tried a cool bath still nothing she also has a cough with the fever could it be because he two year mollers are coming in idk what to do i never had this problem with my son

Related Topics: Fever, Cough

A.

A fever is the body's NATURAL WAY of fighting an infection. A fever does not need to be "broken" or even treated, especially a low-grade fever like 101.3. I see children every day with fevers in the 104-105 range....no problems....no brain damage.....and no need to really treat them, unless you do so clearly for comfort.

Did you know that cool baths can actually INCREASE the fever? When the thermal sensors on the skin detect that the child is cold, the brain will respond and attempt to increase body heat.

Fever is good and should not be feared.

With that said, the cause of the fever cannot be determined unless the child has a proper medical examination. A hospital ER is really not the best place and you will likely wait....and wait....and wait until you are seen since mildly-ill people go the back of the line. Go to an urgent care facility if you want, or you can just wait it out.

Please spend some time and re-educate yourself about the medical benefits of fever in children....I can assure you that it is quite different than what you mother or grandmother taught you to believe.