Q.

How does E coli get in my urine?

I went to see my Doc about a urinary tract infection the other day.  The next day I got a call from them saying my urinalysis was positive for E.coli.  They prescribed Cipro for seven days and referred me to a Urologist to follow up on other issues.

I thought E. coli was a bacteria from contaminated food and caused a food poisoning effect in the digestive system.  SO, what I want to know is how did it get in my urine?  Is that an ordinary thing, or is it unusual?

A.

E.coli is the most common bacteria that causes a urinary tract infection (UTI). Assuming you are a female (men rarely get UTIs), the bacteria came from your own rectum, located quite near the vagina/urethra. Bacteria that normally live in the colon can thrive in the neighboring vaginal area as well. Since the female urethra is so short, it doesn't take much for the bacteria to migrate into the bladder. Sexual intercourse often helps it along....