Q.

Is it possible to have a stomach virus without vomiting or diarrhea?

Every so often I experience nausea, fatigue, and stomach pain as if I had a stomach virus--could this just be the way my body expresses the Norovirus?

Related Topics: Stomach, Virus, Vomit, Diarrhea, Nausea

A.

Yes, a person can have a gastointestinal virus without vomiting or diarrhea, but those symptoms are typically the things you get. If you had this virus before or a similar virus, you may only have a mild infection with nausea.  You cannot definitively diagnose a Norovirus by symptoms alone, since everyone responds to a viral infection differently.

A.
Yes, it is possible to have a stomach virus without vomiting or diarrhea. Norovirus may have a prolonged infectious period even before a patient starts feeling sick. People who recover from the infection keep shedding virus through their stools for weeks and may potentially spread the infection to others.