Q.

What can happen if bacterial vaginosis is left untreated?

I've been told I have equivocal bacterial vaginosis for over a year. I've had an unusual discharge and a fishy smell from my vagina since then. Can going untreated for this long lead to something more dangerous?

Related Topics: Bacterial Vaginosis, Smell, Vagina

A.

Hi found this piece of info for you, its lays out the problems of not getting it seen to.

Treatment of women with clinically equivocal bacterial vaginosis may increase the risks of preterm birth and low birth weight.

The course of bacterial vaginosis varies and is poorly understood. Without treatment, symptoms may persist or resolve in both pregnant and non-pregnant women. Recurrence after treatment occurs in about a third of women. A history of bacterial vaginosis is associated with increased rates of complications in pregnancy: low birth weight; preterm birth (pooled OR from 10 cohort studies: 1.8, 95% CI 1.5 to 2.6); preterm labour; premature rupture of membranes; late miscarriage; chorioamnionitis; endometritis after normal delivery (8.2% v 1.5%; OR 5.6, 95% CI 1.8 to 17.2); endometritis after caesarean section (55% v 17%; OR 5.8, 95% CI 3.0 to 10.9); and surgery to the genital tract. Women who have had a previous preterm delivery are especially at risk of complications in pregnancy, with a sevenfold increased risk of preterm birth (24/428 [5.6%] in all women v 10/24 [41.7%] in women with a previous preterm birth). Bacterial vaginosis can also increase the risk of HIV acquisition and transmission.

Now I normally tell women who get this to try sea salt, you do this in warm water baths, needs to be like the ocean in strength, now that's one way.

Have you thought of going to an STD/GUM Clinic for help, the staff do know there job and not just for STDs.

Do hope this helps.