Q.

Does microwaving infant formula destroy all the nutrients?

My boyfriend and I have been microwaving the formula for a few seconds just enough to make it warm. I mostly breast feed but I have had problems producing enough milk so when we supplement with formula we microwave it. My mom says it kills all the nutrients, I say I don't think it does, but im not a doctor! please help. I want to know so that if it does kill the nutrients I can stop doing that and do it a different way that will benefit my child.

Related Topics: Infant Formula, Milk, Supplement

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

Heating formula in the microwave will not destroy the nutrients but it is not recommended.  The reason is it does not heat the milk evenly, potentially resulting in milk that is hot in some areas and cold in others.  A better way to warm up formula is by running it under warm water or placing it in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.  Just make sure the bottle is not to hot when you give it to your baby.

Congratulations on your baby