Q.

Can amoxicillin treat pink eye?

My four year old daughter has been taking amoxicillin for an ear infection and also has been getting eye drops for pink eye.  Getting the eye drops into her eyes is a battle and I'm worried that she is not getting enough into her eye.  Will the amoxicillin help her pink eye as well as her ear infection?

A.

Maybe. Amoxicillin is excreted slightly through the tears, so it may help a mild case, but those antibiotic eye drops are better.

Lie her down and put the drops in the nasal corners of those tightly-closed eyes. Then, pull down her lower lid or trick her into opening her eyes, and those drops will slide right in!