Q.

Is is safe to drink even a glass of wine while on antidepressants and then drive?

I have a family member who 3 weeks ago had a "mental break down" and was perscribed antidepressants- she is still drinking 2+ glasses of wine A DAY- my first question is - is it safe to drink while on antidepressants? and Secondly, what about driving after 2 6-8 oz glasses of wine and then driving??? How safe/ unsafe is this? 

Related Topics: Drinking, Wine, Antidepressant, Family

A.

I would not want to be on the same road as her.  Dosage and tolerance is a factor and as long as she does not abuse her medication then driving on that alone is safe.  The combination of two depressants however is harmful to your essential organs and is in fine print on the pill bottle to never combine alcohol and the medication.  In reality, two glasses of wine alone will have one being sober as a goat but drinking on top of the medication will result in feeling very messed up and is basically the same as driving drunk.  I had a friend who passed away from the combination of alcohol and antidepressants when he was 18 and that was the biggest tragedy I have ever gone through (wasn't his first time doing both either).  If you care about this person then you should either get them help or cancel their subscription because they are rolling the dice everyday they take it.