Good question. At least it sounds like you've been able to isolate the condition as occurring only in your own house. That's a start in trying to figure out what's going on.
A couple of possibilities spring to mind. First is dry air. Lack of humidity can cause all the symptoms you describe and is common in regions where people run the furnace in the winter.
At the other end of the spectrum is mold. I'm not necessarily talking about toxic black mold, but rather the more common mold and mildew that occur in humid climates. If your house feels dank or if you see mold growing beneath the kitchen sink or in other areas, that could be the source of your symptoms.
How about allergies? Are you allergic to cats? Did the previous tenant of your house own one or more cats? If so, you could be having an allergic reaction to the cats that used to inhabit your house.
Other allergies could be at the root of this, anything from grass or plants (maybe there's some particular tree or bush growing outside your window that gives you an allergic reaction) to formaldehyde in the carpeting.
If you can find an environmental cause, such as dry air or mold, you can take steps to mitigate the problem. Either humidify the air or get rid of the mold.
If this is some sort of allergic reaction, it may be much harder to pinpoint the cause. In that case, your only option may be to move out of the house.
Sorry you've been suffering and hope you can figure out the root cause soon!
This answer should not be considered medical advice...This answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.
Thanks for your feedback.
4 of 6 found this helpful