Q.

How long do kidney stones stay in the kidney?

I recently had an MRI for a back injury, which found a stone in my kidney. I've scheduled an appointment with a urologist, but I am wondering how long the stone may stay in my kidney before it begins to move?

A.
I currently have a kidney stone that's stuck within my kidney. From past ultrasounds I first had this stone 4 years ago, but it was in a place that it didn't bother me. Fast forward to now, and the stone grew a lot and it is too large to pass on its own. (Not to mention very painful)

So it really does depend on how big the stone is. Mine is over 4mm which will never pass on its own. Smaller ones may move into the ureters, which is when you'll probably notice blood in your urine. If that's the case, your urologist will likely recommend drinking tons of water to flush it out.

If it's too large, doctors can perform lithotripsy, a procedure that breaks up the stone into tiny pieces that are easier to pass. This can be done externally or internally depending on the situation.

I know that kidney stones are a really nasty thing to go through, and I wish you all the best in getting in out ASAP.

A.
Could be up to 20 years. If they keep growing and they are stuck then you might have to resort to surgery unless you can dissolve them and flush them out. 

Your doctor will advice the next steps. 

Get Well Soon!
Dhammika Abeygoonawardhane
Sri Lanka