Q.

How long until z-pack works for strep? Started yesterday and throat is still hurting bad.

I'm allergic to penicillin so was prescribed a z-pack.  I took the two pills yesterday morning, took dose two (one pill) today.  I know it's only been one day, but I was of course hoping it would magically disappear.  I haven't had strep since I was a child, and this has been absolutely miserable.

Related Topics: Throat, Pain, Penicillin

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

The medical provider who is treating you for Strep is not really doing it correctly. If you do a brief search on "treating Strep with azithromycin" you will see that the standard Z-pack is not sufficient. Strep should be treated with two pills (500mg) every day for five days; twice the dose you have been given.

The purpose of any antibiotic in the treatment of lab-diagnosed Strep (I hope you had a confirmation test to prove you did, indeed, have Strep) is to prevent complications....NOT to treat the associated pain. Antibitoics are not good pain medications, so I would suggest that you take an appropriate dose of ibuprofen or have your medical provider prescribe something for you.