Q.

What should I do about diarrhea lasting more than a week?

Along with diarrhea I have severe stomache pain that spreads to my back and I feel weak and have no energy.

Related Topics: Stomach, Diarrhea, Pain, Weakness

A.
I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds miserable!

My initial reaction is that you should make an appointment to see a medical professional. Diarrhea (by which I mean mostly watery stool with little to no solid waste in it) lasting longer than a week is not normal for an adult. Usually, if diarrhea is caused by food poisoning, it resolves within a few days. The pain you describe in conjunction with the diarrhea also is concerning.

While I'm not suggesting you have any type of life-threatening condition, I would suggest you make an appointment with your primary care provider as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, it's crucial for you to drink plenty of fluids. Because your diarrhea has been going on for so long, you might also want to sip a sports drink like Gatorade. Dehydration might explain why you feel so weak.

I wish you all the best in finding out what's causing this problem!

Next Question: