Q.

Does lemon juice really help to prevent catching a stomach virus/help relieve or kill the virus?

I have read several different websites claiming that lemon juice can kill stomach bug virus or help to prevent from catching it. How true is that? I love lemons can eat them or drink the juice from one by itself. I have a fear of vomiting and the feeling like i'm going to vomit. I quit eating lemons years ago due to them causing teeth problems. Can drinking the juice from a lemon in moderation really help?

Related Topics: Stomach, Tooth, Fear, Juice, Lemon

A.

No, drinking lemon juice will NOT prevent a stomach virus. The citric acid on lemons can damage teeth if you eat them excessively, but in moderation....you are not likely to have a problem. Lemons are high in vitamin C but many scientific studies have not proven that vitamin C prevents colds or viral infections.

A.

I am not a doctor, however, I would like to share my experience with lemon juice and stomach bugs.  I have been using lemon juice to prevent the stomach bug for several years now.  We have NEVER caught the stomach bug while using fresh squeezed lemon juice.  I will share our regimen; once exposed we drink an ounce of fresh lemon juice twice a day for TEN days.  We make it into lemonade for our kids.  One of my daughters decided she didn't want lemon juice on day 5 and by that evening she was sick.  The rest of us started over again and drank lemonade for another 10 days and we were fine.  Since this one incident my kids never ever stop drinking their lemonade, in fact, they remind me to get it for them.  It has been 100 percent effective for us!