Q.

After taking antibiotic for pneumonia,my son is still coughing. Is that normal?

He's also still on an antibiotic for an ear infection. Will the additional antibiotic help with the cough or will it have to run its course?

A.

An antibiotic will not help the cough, it is only for infection.  However, the cough after an illness is usually the longest symptom you have and can last some time.  If it becomes worse or prolongs more than a month I would ask the MD.  Also, perhaps they should give him something specific for the cough.  Coughing is always worse at night, and if could mean a better night's rest for him if he can not cough so much at night. 

Also, often a cough is actually good for getting rid of the "junk" that is in his lungs, so he needs to cough some of it up and out.  I wouldn't worry too much at this point.