Q.

can pain cause a fever

49y/o male cronicCOPD, GERDS, cronic pancreatitis, arthritis, bursitis, on a long acting opiot pain reliever.Drove 325 miles to see Dr. got home and had 102 fever.

A.
Yes, it can, but it is a fairly rare occurrence. Not sure where the bursitis is, but a car ride that long could cause anyone pain , especially someone with issues that can be aggravated like yours. If you had to take less meds to do the drive, that could cause a pain spike as well.

First and most responsible answer is always rule out other possibilities. You may have caught an illness from another patient at the doctors office.

I realize the point is moot now, but my own Google search for pain causing a fever led me to multiple answers of "NO", and I know from my own medical issues that it is untrue, fever can be a rather rare response of the body to pain. 

Did you ever find the cause of your fever?