Q.

How rare is it to be born without tonsils.

We were just recently informed that my 13 year old granddaughter does not have tonsils.  I don't understand why it took this long to be told this but I'm more concerned about her health.  She has been very sick in the past and on two occassions we almost lost her.  Thanks to great doctors she's still with us but she is still having problems.  Thank you.

Related Topics: Tonsil

A.

She probably HAS tonsils but they are just tiny. They tend to "hide". Like some teenagers and adults, tonsils become smaller as we age. I can't imagine that her lack of tonsils on examinationhas anything to do wtih her overall health, but obviously, I do not know the details of her medical history.

A.
Hi,

I'm 30 years old and I was born with no tonsils. They are not small and hidden. They are non existent.  Most of my friends have had tonsillitis. Many have had them removed including my sister. I am glad that I will never have to go through that.
So far I've had no serious illnesses beside the common cold and a few sinus infections through out my life. If you have any questions please ask away.

A.
Not sure how the doctors would have missed such an obvious indication of such a disease, but absence of tonsils along with frequent serious illnesses is indicative of Bruton's Syndrome. You may want to suggest she get screened for it as it is a serious immunodeficiency disorder. You can take or leave my advice, I only have a B.S. in Biology and am in no position to diagnose anything, but I came across your question while I was doing research on the disease and thought I might be able to help.

-Respectfully,
Billy the Biologist

Got Your WebMD Answer?

Next Steps: