Q.

If someone is suicidal, why would they tell someone they are?

If they do go for help, it's obvious that they really don't want to die and is just looking for attention.
I think it's rather funny that a medical professional asks someone, "Do you want to harm yourself?" Because if someone is really looking to die and NOT want to be helped, they would say, no.

Related Topics: Suicide

A.
its a cry for help its not always that they want attention , yes its true some people do cry wolf but its not something to be taken lightly maybe the person is debating it and told you , or sometone for example to try and help them reason , ive had many friends who said it as a joke.......or so we thought and everyone would just laugh , after every1 understood it was really a cry for help, my advice to you is if someones saying that better safe than sorry dont think its nothing and in fact it becomes something youll have to live with that all your life.... believe me i know. so do what you can as a friend and be there for that person , you never know you could save a life ..... there are also hotlines that can help someone thinking like that , im sure they have tips for people trying to help. and in reguards to when the doctor askes its not only the simple yes or no they look for it also the reaction of the person , the emotion behind what they say ..hope this helps 

A.
Sometimes, some people who are serious about suicide DO tell someone they trust. I can tell you this from personal experience. I was an older teenager and was contemplating suicide and I reached out for help. It was not to gain attention. I felt suicide was the only way I could get out and be set free. I didn't necessarily want to die, but rather I was completely overwhelmed that I felt that it was my only other option.People who reach out to someone about suicide are more likely to overcome severe depression, because for them, it took a lot of courage to get up the nerve to talk to someone about it. Granted, yes, some do it just for attention but very rarely. There is a misconception about suicide. People say it is just for attention, and some may be, but usually, it is because that person has gone over it and over it in their head and finally got up the nerve to talk to someone about it. If the person they decided to trust literally with their life shuts them out as just merely attention seeking, then they are less likely to reach out to someone who can truly help them overcome their inward battles, like a psychologist. 

Next Question: