Q.

How long does a sore throat last?

I had a cold a couple of weeks ago but the sore throat is lingering.  No cold symptoms really except very tired and headaches. No fever, no chills, no swollen glands, no white spots. Sometimes trouble eating - seems to happen when there is too much saliva - I start to choke.

I don't have insurance so I've held off going to the doc due to the cost.  Could a sore throat last over 2 wks?  What's with the swollen throat?

thanks

A.

Sore throats can be caused by MANY things....viral infections, bacterial infections (like Strep), mono, post nasal drainage from sinusitis, breathing through your mouth when your nose is clogged, cigarettes, allergy....LOTS of things. Can it last two weeks? You bet.  It is possible for me or any medical provider to be able to determine a specific cause or a treatment over the Internet? No....

Insurance or financial constraint or not, the ONLY way you can be properly diagnosed and treated is to SEE a medical provider. I know medical care is pricey, but so is gasoline, car repairs, plumbers, and just about anything else. Sometimes, you just have to allocate some of your limited resources to YOURSELF.