Q.

Besides tender swollen lymph node in neck, also have lump in front of ear. Presently on clyndamycin. Possible causes?

Swollen lymph node in neck and lump in front of ear appeared suddenly. Was ordered Clindamycin (on day 3) and no change in swelling at either site. Initially had low grade fever. Possible cause?

Related Topics: Ears, Lymph Node, Fever, Tenderness, Lump

A.
I had swelling in front of ear on neck - mouth was red - went to Dentist  - emergency - come to find out it was a saliva gland stone (ever   hear of kidney stones) - Stone had blocked duct - ended up swollen, could not talk -  mouth  and tongue were swollen so much - put in hospital due to concern of total blockage - put on drip anti-biotics.  I am on blood thinner and so had to wait for surgery.  Sent home - went and saw family Doctor - while in office I coughed phlegm and infection, of which a stone came out - GLAD I HAD USED A TISSUE - more stones were tried to be massaged out - told to suck on sugar free lemon tarts  or real lemons - and keep heat on heck  - I cancelled u pcoming surgery as surgeon out of town and could not get feed back.

A.

I have never heard of the medicine you are on, but everytime I mention or show my doctor a lump in my neck or something, he says it's a lymph node, that possibly I may getting a cold or something. He says that is a sign your body's trying to fight an infection.

Hope this helps some.

A.
Update from original post. Saw ENT, had biopsy done and CT scan. Biopsy was negative for Cancer. Swelling by ear is gone and one in neck is somewhat smaller. The ENT wants me to have the lymph node (neck) removed and biopsied. I'm not in good health, have intractable facial nerve pain from dental procedure (going thru nerve blocks for that) among other conditions. I want to wait on removing the lymph node as none of the tests showed a definitive problem. Need some advice....probably will ask for a second opinion.

A.
My PCP is concerned as no sore throat or ear or obvious signs of infection........and swelling the same after 10 days on antibiotic (clindamycin). Had blood work done, a Chest X-Ray, and an ultrasound of the node by ear and in neck,.....plus a referral to an ENT.