Q.

how often can you get steroids shots for back pain?

can you have a second shot in a day or two if the first shot isnt helping? what would happen if you got a second shot 2 or 3 days after the first shot?

Related Topics: Injection, Steroid, Back Pain

A.
I get mine done every 2 weeks. I was told that 2 weeks is the minimum that you can get them done because depending on the type that your getting, some need to have time to build up in your system and others take a few days in order to take full effect.

A.
it depends on what type of steroid injection you are getting. I cleared up about 25 or so painful trigger points with single cortisone injections in each point done in 2 appointments a month apart (about 12 one time, 13 the next, not each one injected both times). I am limited for both lumbar and cervical epidurals (I don't know the name of the cortisone being used) to only once every 3 months, because more frequently can cause erosion of the joint material, according to my Dr, and my insurance company will only pay for them at that rate, but monthly for trigger point injections. I am scheduled for another Kenalog cortisone injection 2 months after this one I just got in my shoulder. Using ice on the site is highly recommended by Drs right after cortisone injections, and after a week has passed, alternating ice and heat 20 minutes each for about an hour is what physical therapists recommend. I hope this helps.