Q.

I am 54 (female) and have not excercised in years. Is it too late to start and also see results?

Is there such a thing as toning flabby areas at my age?

Related Topics: Vision, Exercise

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
It is never too late! I am a male, and at 57 I was 50lbs over weight and hadn't done anything like exercise in more than 10 years. I got tired of feeling everything jiggle when I moved at more than a plod and started by paying attention to what I ate and going for a walk every day. 

I joined a 12 week weight loss challenge to help me and received advice on nutrition, things like the balance of carbs, proteins, fats and fiber to consume daily, sources of those essentials. How many calories to consume each day to lose weight based on my based metabolic rate and my weekly weight loss goal. 

For walking I started walking 30 minutes per day at lunch just around the office area. When I started I could only make a little over 1 mile in the 30 minutes. I increased the speed of my walking a little each week to increase the work rate and calorie burn.

By the end of the 12 week challenge, I had dropped 25 lbs. and could walk at a 5 mph pace for 30 minutes. Twelve weeks later, I had lost a total of 50 lbs and was doing walk/run (4.5 mph walk/7 mph run) intervals for 30 minutes. 

So, yes, you can do it. Just balance your food intake and start walking.

A.
According to the experts, it is NEVER too late to start an exercise program. They have worked with people in nursing homes who were unable to walk, and got them walking again!

Get cleared by your doctor first to make sure you do not have any underlying health problems. Start gradually....just walking at first, and then you can join a gym and work with a trainer for a while.

You will be surprise with the results.....

A.
It is never too late to start exercising. It is important that you get a professional trainer to guide you in exercising. You can start with something like Yoga which will not be too stressful along with brisk walking. Once your body adjusts to this routine you can hit the gym for light weights too.