Q.

Painful Lump in the armpit - is it cancerous or common?

The lump appeared suddenly and grew with pain which made it difficult to even raise the hand. It has been there for 10 days now and now the pain is reduced but not the size of the lump. Please suggest what needs to be done

Related Topics: Cancer, Armpit, Hand, Pain, Lump

A.

Whether you feel these lumps  may be cancerous or common, I highly advise you to see your physician and accordingly, the doctor may or may not order additional testss.  However, If the lump is painful and can be rolled around chances are, it may be a cyst of some kind and can be easily treated. I have a personal story: I had a horribly painful lump in my armpit  and was more than frightened about the diagnosis of cancer.  I did make an appointment with my physician and after a full examination of the area and an ultrasound, it was found that the area was a severely ingrown hair and the area had to be lanced and drained.  Simple wound care was required for a couple of weeks following the procedure.  Evidently, there is a large percentage of women who shave our underarms incorrectly.  There is a name for these women.  They are known as "rakers".  A raker is someone that glides the razor over and around the underarm area in an irratic manner (across the direction of hair growth, against the direction of hair growth, whatever gets the job done) and it causes irritation or folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicle) and even an ingrown hair (which can become extremely sore and enlarged due to the inflammation).  The correct procedure for shaving your underarms is as follows:  Start with wetting the underarm area with lukewarm water, apply shaving cream specific to the sensitive area of the underarm area and use a great quality razor (either disposable or reusable)- NEVER A DULL RAZOR!  Always glide the razor WITH the direction of hair growth!

This is information that you can use all the time, especially if those painful underarm lumps are diagnosed as being ingrown underarm hair.  This is not to replace a visit or an examination by your physician.  ALWAYS SEE YOUR PHYSICIAN FOR ANY ABNORMALITIES FOUND IN THE BREAST, LYMPH NODES OR UNDERARMS,  THIS CAN NOT BE STRESSED TOO MANY TIMES!! 

A.
I also get these from time to time. Typically one lump under one armpit. That said, I assumed it was an ingrown hair or some type of irritation from deodorant. I ignored these lumps as they were few and far between. I also researched the lumps and found that when painful, they typically are not serious. I noticed online that people suggested draining the lump themselves, poking with a needle, popping like a zit, etc. I do not think this is smart whatsoever. You will only cause additional irritation. One thing I have not seen as a suggestion, to ease the pain and draw the lump out of the skin, is epsom salt. I use a warm compress of water and epsom salt when I get these lumps. I do this a few times a day and leave the warm rag under my arm for roughly ten minutes each time. This method works!! The fluid in the lump will draw out and the lump will rupture without poking. If there is a deep lump, then you have to let nature take it's course and let it rise to the surface, somewhat on it's own, but the epsom salt speeds this process along. I thought of this method because growing up my mom used epsom salt to draw out slivers or a stinger. I am shocked that no one has mentioned this online but thought I'd share in hopes it will help someone. With one deep lump I had, I used the epsom salt compress on and off for about 3 days and on the 3rd day applied GENTLE pressure with the soft parts of my fingers and viola, the lump popped and the pain subsided. Btw, it was gross..LOL

As for a new experience with lumps that I am currently having, I have multiple painful lumps under BOTH sides of my armpits. Obviously, this is not an ingrown hair. I have also been; extremely tired, have continuous night sweats, and shortness of breath. I went to my doctor only to find out that I have a severe infection coursing through my body; which caused the lumps (lymph-node infection). They started me on strong antibiotics and I am awaiting results to find out exactly what type of infection I have. Hope it's not too serious!

So, the long and the short of it....a lump with no other symptoms may just be caused by some type of irritation. A lump with other symptoms should be inspected by your doctor right away. My doctor said that when these types of infections pop up (lymph-nodes) they can get out of hand very quickly.

Just thought I'd share. Epsom salt can be found at any drug store or grocery store and is cheap!

A.
Cancer is painless condition.So only we miss early stage,Any lump painless at armpit can be associated with early breast cancer.Immediately you must have biopsy done