Health & Sex

Q.

Can a girl get pregnant from precum the day after her period, then taking the morning after pill.

I had sex with my gf twice this weekend. Once on Sat night and once Sun morning. I did not use a condom nor did I cum inside of her. She just got off her period the day before we had sex. I was worried so I had her take the morning after pill. She also took the morning after pill last month for the same incident. Should she be ok not getting pregnant since I didnt cum inside her and she took the pill?

A.
Use a condom, for Goodness sake! Stop playing sexual roulette with your girlfriend. You may be fine this time....I don't know....but it is only a matter of time before she will become pregnant. Maybe next time....

Viable sperm can be present in seminal fluid, and that sperm can remain alive for a week or so. While a woman can only become pregnant a few days a month, sperm do not understand that. Many will just wait around hoping that an egg (ovum) will appear.

You will sleep better if you keep ALL of your penile emissions...the seminal fluid and your ejaculations well-contained in a condom. And, since you and your girlfriend are clearly having regular sex, she could benefit from using an effective form of contraception as well.

A.

The short answer is yes and no. Yes she can get pregnant from pre-cum and, no she cannot get pregnant the day or two after her period ends.

The long answer is as follows:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Using a condom and/or birth control will help keep your minds at ease and are likely your best method for not having an unwanted baby. Most health departments will offer both at little to no cost.

If it is true that her period ended on Friday then it is highly unlikely that she will become pregnant, day after pill or not. Sperm can live for 24-72 hours in the female body. Most will die off en-route searching for an egg however it only takes one egg and one sperm.

A woman's cycle works like this.

Period starts and triggers a turn of events. The LH phase is the phase when her body is not fertile, typically 10-16 days from the day the period starts depending on her specific cycle. Then the fertile days come in to play. For about 4-5 days her body will be in a fertile state but typically it is the last two days of this particular cycle when she is most ready to get pregnant. Once this phase is over her body prepares to have another period to shed the lining that has built up to accept the pregnancy.

I would suggest getting an app on her phone that tracks her cycle and her most fertile times of the month. Mostly because I don't see you two using a condom or birth control no matter how many people tell you that you should. At least this way you two will have a better understanding of where her body is at and when its at that point to try and keep from getting pregnant. It can take about three months to get the app lined up with her cycle to track the days with the most accuracy. 

Please keep in mind that this is for a woman with a 'normal' cycle however even with an abnormal cycle it is highly unlikely to get pregnant within a few days of ending a period.

This information comes from personal experience with tracking my own cycle to achieve pregnancy which I have done successfully.

Best of luck to you both!

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

flowers behind back
Article
Upset woman sitting on bed
Article

couple kissing
Article
Exercises for Better Sex
Video

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site HONcode Seal AdChoices